Last Updated on: 20th May 2022, 01:43 pm
Web site: gnu.org/software/emacs/
Subcategory: Text Editors
Platform: Linux, OS X, Windows, BSD, Solaris
License: GNU GPL
Programing language: C, Emacs Lisp
First release: March 20, 1985
GNU Emacs – an extensible, customizable, free/libre text editor. Emacs runs on several operating systems regardless of the machine type. The main ones are: GNU, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS, MS Windows and Solaris.
– Content-aware editing modes, including syntax coloring, for many file types.
– Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
– Full Unicode support for nearly all human scripts.
– Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
– A wide range of functionality beyond text editing, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, IRC client, and more.
– A packaging system for downloading and installing extensions.