jEdit – a mature programmer’s text editor with hundreds (counting the time developing plugins) of person-years of development behind it. The jEdit core, together with a large collection of plugins is maintained by a world-wide developer team.
– Combines the best functionality of Unix, Windows and MacOS text editors.
– Runs on any operating system with a Java 1.6 or higher virtual machine – this includes MacOS X, Linux, Unix, VMS and Windows.
– Efficient keyboard shortcuts for everything, with predefined keymaps for Emacs, Intellij IDEA, and Mac OSX (5.0)
– Comprehensive online help
– Unlimited undo/redo
– Copy and paste with an unlimited number of clipboards (known as “registers”)
– Register contents are saved across editing sessions
– “Kill ring” automatically remembers previously deleted text
– Rich set of keyboard commands for manipulating entire words, lines and paragraphs at a time
– “Markers” for remembering positions in files to return to later
– Marker locations are saved across editing sessions
– Any number of editor windows may be open, each window may be split into several areas, each area can view a different file and keep track of an independent set of buffers. Alternatively, different locations in one file can be viewed in more than one area
– Multiple open windows and split windows are remembered between editing sessions
– Rectangular selection
– Multiple selection (sometimes known as “discontinuous” or “additive” selection) for manipulating several chunks of text at once
– Word wrap
Plugins can turn jEdit into a very advanced XML/HTML editor, or a full-fledged IDE, with compiler, code completion, context-sensitive help, debugging, visual diff, and many language-specific tools tightly integrated with the editor.