Last Updated on: 22nd September 2022, 09:43 am
Web site: vbulletin.com
Platform: Cross platform
Interface: Web interface
Programing language: PHP
First release: 2000
vBulletin – a proprietary online forum software developed by Internet Brands, Inc., a US-based company headquartered in El Segundo, California. The application is written in PHP and uses the MySQL database server. It competes commercially with XenForo and competes with open source software with WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, MyBB and phpBB.
– Unlimited hierarchy of forums
– Private forums
– Subscription to threads and forum (email notification)
– Administrative tools: edit, delete, move, lock, stick, etc.
– Send a page to a friend
– Supports BB code in posts
– Supports HTML in posts
– Emoticons, avatars
– Post options preview
– Post reporting
– Counting user’s posts
– Administrative tools: edit, delete, move, etc.
– Support for attachments
– User profile pages – this information can be viewed by other members from the members list. Custom username, URL homepage, date of birth, instant messaging, location, occupation, biography, interests, vB version and any other custom user fields that can be defined by the administrator.
– Allows members to upload photos that can be viewed in user profile.
– Private messages
– Friends list
– Members’ birthdays displayed in the forum home
– Who’s Online
– Signature editor
– Authorization system based on user, user group or forums
– User registration options
– User blocking (by name and IP address)
– Global ignore user – when enabled, all posts of a given user will be ignored / not seen by other members. Automatically added to all users who ignore the lists.
– Unlimited number of moderators and super moderators
– Support for installing skins
Internet Brands, Inc. purchased VBulletin in 2007 from JelSoft. In July 2010 the BBC reported that there was a serious flaw in the vBulletin software that allows anyone to easily access the database username and password.
In October 2010 Internet Brands sued three former employees who released new competing XenForo software, as well as a second lawsuit in the United States that alleged breach of contract, copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets. In May 2011 vBulletin had given up attempts to prevent XenForo’s activity, and in 2013 the claims were dismissed.
vBulletin 4 was released in late 2009. The StyleVars system has been added to draw CSS variables directly from the vBulletin template code.
vBulletin has an option, for an additional fee, to run a mobile version of the forum as a separate application. The service is available for iOS and Android.