Metapad – a small, fast and completely free text editor for Windows (95/98/NT/XP/Vista/7) with similar features to Microsoft Notepad but with many extra (and rather useful) features. It was designed to completely replace Notepad since it includes all of Notepad’s features and much, much more.
– Persistent window placement
– Dirty file notification
– Intelligent Find and Replace
– External viewer support (e.g. web browser)
– Usable accelerator keys (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+N, etc.)
– Dual customizable font support
– Optional Quick Exit (Esc key)
– Configurable tab stop setting
– Auto-indent mode
– Go to Line/Column
– Seamless UNIX text file support
– Block indent and unindent (Tab, Shift+Tab)
– Recent files list
– No file size limit (under Win9x)
– Hyperlink support
– Portability mode (INI mode)
– Over 30 customized UI language plugins
Metapad was distributed as freeware software between 1999 and 2009. On March 20, 2009, the 10th anniversary, the Metapad source code was released under GPL-3.0-or-later.
The project developer is Alexander Davidson.
The last version of Metapad 3.6 was released in 2011.